Sunday, March 9, 2014

Knitted Kitcheners Stitch

Once upon a time my boyfriend bought this incredibly soft sweater. It was made with the finest of lambswool and it was a great fit for him. I couldn't stop petting him. The Cat's were equally fond of the sweater. All in all it was great sweater.

But then disaster struck... He hand washed it and hung it up to dry. And then the sweater grew... and grew... and grew some more. Till it was completely out of shape and it was never worn again...

After months the poor sweater still hung sadly in his room and then one day, just for shit and giggles I put it on.

The arms were still too long for me, but I was surprised to find that my big butt made the sweater not that long. Which was when I asked for the sweater to have and got it. I had big plans for the softest sweater in mind. SWEATER SURGERY!

Now I followed a Craftsy Class with Carol Feller about this subject and really wanted to shorten the sleeves so I could wear the Softest sweater. So I started to work it. I opened the seams till the point that I wanted to shorten it and cut one stitch. I guess that the needle size would be  2mm and hoped that would be correct. I like to live dangerous sometimes...

Then I proceeded to unravel the stitch and put the stitches above it on the needle. When all the live stitches were on the needle I did the same but just above the ribbing of the sleeve. Then I had to graft them together.

Sighing I searched on the tube for some videos explaining kitcheners stitch. I almost never can remember it. But then something lovely happened. I found a video explaining how to KNIT the kitcheners stitch!

MY mind was BLOWN!

I tried it and suddenly it was so easy to memorize it!
Here I am in the midst of grafting it with a knitting needle. (The yellow thing is a stitch marker. Above you see a swatch for a Boreal. ) My grafting needle is vertical since I need to hold the needle between my legs to be able to do this.

Here is the end result. Pretty neat right?

Here is the length of knitted fabric I removed. It is not that great of a picture and I have to admit I unraveled it some more to get enough yarn to do the graft, but I hope you get the idea...




And now I only have to do the same thing to the other sleeve and I have the Softest Sweater to have and to wear. Right at the moment when Spring is here! Hurray!!!

*facepalm*

------
Disclaimer: Sketches were made probably a little bit too quick and I do need some more practice with computer drawing, so please excuse the shabby art...






No comments:

Post a Comment